Friday 11 March 2011

Old Wives Tales

As soon as anyone finds out that you're pregnant, one of the first questions is usually: "Do you know if it's a boy or a girl?"

Our answer all along has always been that we don't mind as long as it's a healthy one, but that doesn't stop people from giving their opinion depending on various old wives tales.

Here's a few of the tales... and the possible outcome based on my results. There's a poll on the right side of the page - do you think Sproutling will be a girl or a boy?

Tummy shape
There are a couple of different variations to the tummy shape method - are you carrying all out front? Then it's a boy.  More rounded to the sides?  Girl.
Or, carrying high means a girl, and carrying low means a boy.

For me: I have carried mostly out front the whole time:  BOY
However, I have also carried high up until this last week when Sprout dropped:  GIRL

Sweet or Savoury
Craving sweet things for a girl, savouries for a boy.  I might mention at this stage that I was looking forward to seeing what odd or interesting food I had cravings for, and I have to say that I haven't had ANY.  I am disappoint! I have however been eating more sweet things, but.. I think that's just because I like to eat sweet things!

For me:  Craving more sweet things:  GIRL

Wedding ring
If you dangle your wedding ring, suspended on a chain over your tummy, the way it moves is meant to indicate the sex. Round for boy, back and forth for girl.

For me: Back and forth:  GIRL

Skin
So this is a new one I recently heard, but if you get pimples while pregnant then it's a girl, if not, a boy.

For me: I have had pimples like I haven't since I was 16:  GIRL

Heartrate
In utero, a normal heartrate varies between 120-160 beats per minute. If the baby's fetal heartbeat is above 140 bpm, it's a girl. Below 140 bpm, a boy.

Here's a chart of Sproutling's heartrate over the eight visits I've had at the clinic.

For my Sprout:  Average heartrate = 139.6 bpm: BOY(?)

Gut feelings
Of course, everyone has a general feeling about how things are going to go. My mother is convinced Sproutling is going to be a boy, while my grandmother has picked girl.

My gut feeling: BOY
Mr Ang's gut feeling:  GIRL

But at the end of the day, who cares? As long as it's healthy!

What do you think?  Are there any old wives tales you know that I haven't taken into account?

Image on this page is pinched from http://dreintaiwan.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment