Friday 17 June 2011

Going Cuckoo

I come from a rather musical family, so I wanted to try to instil in the Sproutling a love of music from an early age, as my mum did with me. Now, I'm terrible at thinking up rhymes to sing to him so I looked around for a musical playgroup-type-thing we could go to.

We started going to Boppin' Babies when Sprout was nine weeks old. The group was only about six or seven kids of which Sprout was the youngest, ranging in age up to about two years old. A lady with a guitar sings the songs and we all join in, sometimes with rattles, drums and other instruments - it's a lot of fun! Sprout is still a little small to be joining in properly but he seems to enjoy the singing and watching the other kids play and dance.

I have also recently discovered thanks to Lathere (of Hots & Dots and My Little Sapling) that our local council libraries put on a similar Babies and Rhymes session for free each week. Sproutling and I went along to one this week and sang some songs and some little rhymes along with about 15 other babies of varying ages.

We learned a new song while there. It goes something like this:
Tick, tock, tick, tock,
(rock back and forth)
I’m a little cuckoo clock,
Tick, tock, tick, tock,
Now I’m striking one o’clock
CUCKOO!
(lift child in air)
(Repeat until as many o’clock as your back holds out.)

It was during this song that I looked around at the 15 or so women (there weren't any dads there!) shouting "CUCKOO!!" while waving their children in the air that I realised that something must crack in our brains when we become parents, switching off the care-what-others-think part and turning on the idiot-for-children's-entertainment part.

Thank goodness for that because I am having an absolute ball!

PS. No, Boppin' Babies aren't paying me to say how much fun we have there.
PPS. Once upon a time, Mr Ang and I were given a cuckoo clock for a wedding present. We opened it, said, "Ooooh, just what we always wanted!" then quickly relegated it to the back of a cupboard. 
PPPS. Yes, that is my MSPaint artwork :P

No comments:

Post a Comment